Thursday, May 27, 2010

Musings on last semester and summer break

Well, it's been a while (again) since my last blog post. I have no excuse! Just laziness. Pure laziness.

Last semester went by pretty quickly once we got done with the actual classroom time. I got to spend time on the med-surg floor (again), a psychiatric hospital, and the NICU (my favorite!). I was really disappointed to learn that we would be spending 5 more weeks on the same floor we were on the previous semester. I was beyond bored there, and was looking forward to the promise of an ICU rotation. I spent all of 2 days in the ICU. I did love it, though. I only wished I could spend more time there.

I surprisingly really enjoyed the psych rotation. I was really nervous and just dreading it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was really fun talking to the people there and getting to know their stories. I admit, I was a little nervous going into their acute unit. There were some pretty creepy people there and I was told to watch my back at all times!

The NICU was the best! I really don't know how I'm going to go back to big people after having these little patients for 2 weeks! I'd much prefer changing full, itty bitty diapers to the huge blowouts that adults can have! Honestly, I was a little nervous walking into the unit on the first day with all those alarms going off and seeing such fast heartbeats, respiratory rates, etc. I almost freaked out about the frailty of these babies and just how little they were! That all went away when I fed my first baby, got to hold her and listen to her make little baby noises, and that smell! I can smell babies forever! Another thing I liked about being on this unit was the pace and the environment. It is much slower paced than the med-surg floor we are used to. But that gives more time for the nurses to give special attention to the babies and their parents. I got to do several things that I've never done on an adult before, such as dropping an NG and OG tube (those babies are always pulling them out!). The whole concept freaked me out and I only vaguely remembered the technique when we learned the skill on a dummy. But the nurses I was with were able to talk me through it, and I was really surprised by how easy it was! I also got to pull an umbilical vein catheter out. I had a tough time cutting those sutures that held it in place!

All in all, I really enjoyed last semester. Where do I see myself working when the time comes? Most definitely the NICU. We'll see where I end up, though.

As for now, I've been enjoying doing nothing, relaxing, baking, and knitting. Break started on May 6 and I don't have class until June 7! Yay! So, I've been making things like this

and this

and this

We've been eating well! (And I've been working out to compensate for this).

Later I'll post some pictures from my visit back home to Walla Walla. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what it's like to work with babies... they're just so tiny and (like yousaid) frail! It would scare me but i think it's really great that you found an area that you're so passionate about! I hope you get back there soon :)

Full of Heart said...

You're getting so close! I didn't get to do ANYTHING in the NICU when I went as a student so I'm totally jealous! I do think the NICU would be kind of fun, I think you should go for it!

Rae said...

cupcakes look delicious! glad you got some NICU time. thanks for updating!

Rachel said...

My good friend (and former nursing school classmate) works in the nicu and LOVES it!!! Glad you found something you enjoyed!!!