Monday, March 31, 2008

Time for a new post! I go in waves of frequent posting and then none at all for a while. The reason this time is that my two little sisters were down visiting me for spring break! We had a lot of fun...a little shopping here, some sightseeing there, and a lot of eating! They got in late Tuesday night...well, early Wednesday morning. I'm fortunate to live literally five minutes from the airport so we were able to turn in pretty soon after we got to my house. Sammy was a little terror that night and the next day as I expected. He wore the muzzle around them during those times. But, to my surprise, he warmed up pretty quickly and was soon demanding their attention, constantly trying to initiate play with them with ankle biting and "herding."

He misses them already!

Every tourist in Tucson has to go to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum so we made the trek up Gates Pass and spent a nice 85 degree afternoon outdoors exploring the desert and its inhabitants. Armed with plenty of sunscreen, we made our way through the museum snapping pictures as we went along. By the end of it Diana was pretty tired, probably due to the sun's strong rays and the long walk. I think I'm finally used to the sun here because I'd normally be beat too! Some pictures from the trip

Afterwards, we treated ourselves to a delicious Cuban dinner at El Cubanito and a refreshing gelato dessert at Frost (by far the best gelato I've ever tasted! A pair of UA grads "imported" their gelataio straight from Italy!)

On another day, we made the drive up to Mt. Lemmon where it was 30 degrees cooler and very breezy. We even found snow!


It's amazing how quickly the vegetation changes on the way up. Towards the beginning of the climb the saguaros were everywhere, but we noticed that they just stopped at about 4000 feet to be replaced by ponderosa pines. At the top of the mountain I felt like I was in Wallowa Lake or in E. WA back home in the PNW!

All in all, it was a pretty good visit. We even got some baking, my new favorite hobby, in! Some chocolate mousse and two dozen blueberry cupcakes with white chocolate buttercream frosting!

Now how do you fix that annoying problem I've been having of not being able to link your photos so that you readers can see them bigger on a separate page?

1 comment:

Cheryl and Greg Morton said...

Aren't sisters awesome! Can't imagine being an only child.